How to Play Readingopoly: A Fun Alternative to Reading Logs

If you are like me, every year you try to improve your independent reading program.  Even though I wanted an alternative to a daily reading log, I usually ended up with some form of one - which everyone hated, parents, students, and me.  I did not want to be the reading log police, and apparently neither did parents.  I didn't find reading logs effective either.  If I was lucky, half of the students completed a log and, for the most part, they were not high quality.  Students were writing about books they read to younger brothers and sisters - or just whatever book they had at home.  My best readers hated completing them.  They were often the kids I had to chase down - even though they were reading constantly!

How to Play Readingopoly: A Fun Alternative to Reading Logs - Are you looking for a more interactive way to engage students in reading? Readingopoy uses stickers and Brag Tags to encourage students to read variety of genres! The program works well for both libraries and classrooms.

What is Readingopoly?

I decided I had to come up with something that had more student buy in.  My goal was to get students to like to read, not make it another chore.  I also wanted to encourage students to read different genres.  Yes, I know that students enjoy reading books in a series.  Yes, I know kids should be able to select their own book.  I wanted a system that would encourage kids to read a lot of different books while providing student choice.  I also didn't want to spend a lot of time or money tracking what each student read.

I created Readingopoly! It is a "game" in which students collect game board pieces and earn brag tags for collecting a set.  Each set focuses on a different genre.  Students keep track of their own pieces on a mini-game board.  You give them the sticker when they earn it - no more lost (or stolen) pieces.  If a student doesn't want to read the genre, they just don't earn the sticker and brag tag.

How to Play Readingopoly: A Fun Alternative to Reading Logs - Are you looking for a more interactive way to engage students in reading? Readingopoy uses stickers and Brag Tags to encourage students to read variety of genres! The program works well for both libraries and classrooms.

Setting up Readingopoly

It does take a little set up in the beginning.  Teachers need to print and assemble the game board and post it on a bulletin board or science board.  Teachers will need a game board for each student.  I recommend printing the stickers and the brag tags and storing them in an organizer or file.  Templates for each are included in the resource.  I printed the stickers on address labels.  Also, a book review form is included as an additional option.

I will tell you, the board draws a lot of interest from students.  It is definitely an attention grabber.  My students enjoy collecting the fast food stickers for prizes, so this was easy for them to understand.

Readingopoly: A Fun Alternative to Reading Logs

This program can be used with a lot of flexibility.  Students can easily read books on their own level. Teachers could require students to show the book to earn the sticker.  Teachers could use AR and Reading Counts tests or a simple discussion about the book as proof of reading.  Teachers could also require a completed book review to earn the sticker.

Look what teachers have said about the Readingopoly program:

Francesca said: "My students are so excited to start collecting their readingopoly pieces! I can't wait to see how this goes throughout the year. I was looking for a new way to have students track their reading and this is so much more fun than the traditional reading log. Thanks!"

The Literacy Lodge said, "Love this resource and how I am able to customize it for my classroom. I plan to use it as incentive for students to read a variety of books with our AR program.. Thanks so much for making reading fun!"
I hope you enjoyed learning how to play Readingopoly! If you are interested in this resource, it can be found in my TPT store.

No comments

Back to Top